Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Poutine (uh... what?)

This week’s topics include another cheap shot at Tamayo, my first poutine (it’s actually not a dirty word), a ride on your huffy bike, an unexpected benefit of being the Wannabe Foodie, cat dander in the 
kitchen, and 15 years of love that have gone into my favorite pan.

A quick note for those of you who receive emails of this blog.  I'm not sure why, but the formatting gets all funky when the emails go out.  When you get your email, you may want to just read the blog on the site - WF Blog.  Your call, but thanks for reading.  

Most unique menu I’ve seen in a while – Euclid Hall, Larimer Square, Denver, Colorado.  This is a fairly new restaurant in Larimer Square.  It’s about a stone’s throw from my food nemesis, Tamayo.  I could wave my private parts in the general direction of Tamayo on my way to Euclid Hall while screaming  “Here’s what I think of your overpriced and under spiced food!” 

Here are some menu items from Euclid Hall.  You tell me what kind of restaurant I’m in:  Bruleed Bone Marrow, Foie Gras, Dover Sole Schnitzel, and Lamb Poutine.

Fancy French restaurant?  Uh, no. 

Here are some other menu items:  fried cheddar curds, oyster po boy, beef short rib kielbasa, and a brat burger.

Now you’re thinking it’s a pub, right? 

I suppose both answers are correct because you really can’t categorize Euclid Hall, but here’s my attempt:  over the top, gourmet, foodie, pub food.  The Chef is clearly classically trained, but also adventurous.  Just look at the variety of menu items I listed. 

So my friend J and I recently went to Euclid Hall for lunch.  J ordered the Bavarian Veal Weisswurst, which is made at the restaurant.  Actually, they have a number of homemade sausages to choose from. J also ordered the mustard flight (4 very different mustards).  

I’m glancing through the menu and come across a menu item that frankly, I’ve never seen before.  Poutines.  Yes, I know that it sounds like a dirty word.  Apparently, it’s a Quebec specialty and I can’t believe I’ve never seen one before.  The basic poutine starts with a bed of fresh cut fries, melted cheddar curds, and gravy.  I ordered the Roasted Duck poutine.   

Before you get on your huffy bike about the number of calories which must be in that dish, I agree.  It’s a heart attack on a plate.  It’s also absolutely delicious.  Crunchy fresh fries, barely melting cheese curds, and gravy, all topped with roasted duck.  Be still my beating heart.  Seriously.  I don’t know where this dish has been my whole life.

Euclid Hall is also visually appealing.  They took this old building, gutted it and made it modern, while still keeping the coolness of the old building, including the old hard wood floors.  If you’re a fan of old buildings and architecture, go to Euclid Hall and wander around the building.  I could totally waste a few hours and brain cells there (they have an extensive beer selection). 

Benefit of being the Wannabe Foodie?  My friends in various cities are constantly saying they have to take me to this restaurant, or that restaurant, and so on.  The restaurants are almost always good.  Places like Euclid Hall, which I would not have found on my own. 

Start a food blog, thrown down some snarkiness, and people just can’t help but take you to good restaurants.

What’s in my kitchen that should be in yours?  A block of parmesan.  I always have one in the fridge and I use it all the time.  Pasta, pizza, sandwiches, snacks.  Fabulous to have around. 

So many times I see people with pre-shredded or grated parmesan or, god forbid, the alleged parmesan that comes in a green can.  That stuff has more in common with cat dander than actual cheese.  For about the same price or even less, you could buy a block of parmesan and grate it yourself.  You don’t have to big-time it and buy a chunk of parmesan reggiano from Italy, though it is the best cheese around and if you do, please send me some.   

A block of parmesan from Wisconsin is just fine and will taste far better than the pre-processed versions.  Buy it, grate it, place it on your favorite pasta dish, and think “Wow.  This is awesome.  It actually tastes like cheese!”

My favorite pan.  Yes, I have pretty decent pots and pans.  I’ve also waxed philosophically about the beauty of my Paella pan.  But, my single favorite pan is my 14” Lodge cast-iron skillet:   

I bought it about 15 years ago and have slowly seasoned it to the beautiful black you see today.  It’s inaugural seasoning was done in a wood-burning oven in a rustic cabin in Mammoth Lakes.  It was seasoned with….. bacon fat!  Any true southerner will tell you that bacon fat is the only proper way to season a cast iron.

I season it every few months with some additional bacon grease.  I also clean it well every time I use it and lightly coat it with some vegetable oil before storing.  I live in a dry climate, so the base seasoning needs to be supplemented after use.

There are only two ways to get a beauty in this kind of shape.  Inherit it from grandma, or put the decade or so of time into it to get it in this type of shape.

So, WF, why do I care about your obvious love affair with cast iron?  Because it’s a fabulous cooking platform that can literally take all of the heat you can apply to it.  You put it on your hottest burner on high and walk away for five minutes.  Unlike some pans, you’re not going to hurt it.  It’s cast iron!  You’re now ready to sear just about anything.  I use it for searing steaks, seafood, and other proteins.  

I also fry chicken and fish in it.  The Red makes corn bread in it.  We make pancakes and eggs in it.  It’s a decent substitute for a paella pan.  It’s a hell of a weapon against intruders.  Its uses are limitless.   

But, the best part of a this pan this is that it’s got soul.  Plain and simple.

Happy cooking.

WF

renofoodiescott@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment